By Kenneth Madaki
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed reports that terrorist groups have established permanent operational bases in Nigeria’s South West, insisting that recent attacks in Oyo State were isolated criminal incidents.
The clarification came after reports alleged the presence of entrenched terrorist bases in the South-West, particularly in the wake of the Oyo incident.
On May 15, 2026, a total of 32 victims, consisting of 25 students and seven teachers, were kidnapped after terrorists attacked three schools in the Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
Reacting in a statement on Tuesday, the Director, Defence Media Operation, Maj. Gen. Michael Onoja, said the attack did not reflect the existence of any permanent terrorist structure in the region.
He added that earlier clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park had significantly degraded the capacity of criminal elements operating within that axis.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria wishes to categorically address recent media reports and public speculation suggesting that terrorist elements have established a permanent operational base within the South West geo-political zone of Nigeria, particularly following the attack in Oyo State.
“It is pertinent to state that the incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region, as the Armed Forces had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation of the Old Oyo National Park, effectively neutralising the operational capacity of criminal elements within that operational capacity of criminal elements within that corridor.
“Current intelligence assessments do not support the conclusion that any structured or permanent terrorist base exists within the forests or hinterlands of the South West region.
“Criminal elements, however audacious their recent activities, do not constitute an established insurgent presence, and the Defence Headquarters cautions against narratives that may cause unnecessary public panic or embolden adversaries by overstating their capabilities,” he said.
He said the Chief of Defence Staff, General Olufemi Oluyede, expressed deep condolences over the abduction of pupils from the schools.
He assured the affected families, the government and people of Oyo State that the Armed Forces were fully committed to securing the safe and unconditional release of all abducted victims.
“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe and unconditional return of every abducted victim,” he said, urging Nigerians to remain calm, united and supportive of ongoing security operations.
He said the military further disclosed that troops are currently engaged in active search-and-rescue operations across forested areas in Oyo State.
“The Armed Forces is equally engaging the local populace for human intelligence, recognising that community cooperation remains an invaluable asset in the effort to recover the abducted victims safely and swiftly.
“The joint effort with all security agencies and local vigilantes will ensure that the forest is thoroughly cleared of criminal elements and that lasting peace is restored to the region. The Armed Forces of Nigeria will not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered, the criminal networks responsible are dismantled, and normalcy is fully restored across the South West and indeed all of Nigeria,” he said.
APC primaries: Idris used party aspirants’ unity to gain victory
From Yarima Haruna, Birnin Kebbi
The apparent committed loyalty, guidance from party elders, and determination to ensure victory for the All Progressive Congress (APC) in 2027 has resulted in the successful conduct of the National Assembly primaries elections through consensus in Kebbi State.
According to Abdulllahi Idris Zuru, all the aspirants agreed to withdraw their letters of intent, and the consensus candidate was accepted by the aspirants.
He noted that the affirmation of the three APC senatorial candidates was then held simultaneously at Birnin Kebbi for Kebbi Central, Kamba for Kebbi North, and Zuru, Kebbi South.
For Kebbi Central, Senator Muhammad Adamu Aliero, Kebbi North, Senator Yahaya Abdullahi, and Kebbi South, General Jafaru Muhammad Gajere (rtd) were presented as the party’s senatorial candidates.
Idris said that beyond the party’s guidelines, he set up a high-powered committee headed by a former governor, Ambassador Sa’idu Nasamu Dakingari, to meet with aspirants and secure rancour-free consensus.
He announced that the committee achieved its goal, with all aspirants withdrawing unconditionally and adopting the consensus candidates.
Idris thanked the aspirants for their cooperation, saying their decision would strengthen unity within the party and across Kebbi State.
He urged them to remain steadfast in supporting the administration’s development agenda and expressed confidence that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu would continue to deliver infrastructure, economic empowerment programs, and improved security.
The Comrade Governor also stated that his administration’s focus on socio-economic turnaround gives him confidence that APC will win in 2027.
Earlier in his welcome address, the State Chairman of the party, Alhaji Abubakar Muhammad Kana Zuru, has expressed gratitude to the stakeholders and members of the party for their loyalty to Governor Idris and the leadership of the party at all levels.
The presentations were made by Idris for Kebbi Central, the Deputy Governor, Senator Umar Abubakar, for Kebbi North, the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Yakubu Bala Tafida, for Kebbi South.
Muhammad Garba led the party’s national appeal committee, while Barrister Attahiru Maccido chaired the affirmation committee.
Kogi APC youths group faults primaries result declaration
From Olu Samuel, Lokoja
Youth stakeholders and members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kogi Central have called on the party’s leadership to uphold due process and strictly adhere to constitutional guidelines following the House of Representatives primaries for Okene/Ogori-Magongo Federal Constituency held on Saturday.
In a statement issued on Tuesday in Lokoja, Comrade Jimoh Anderson and Comrade Abdullahi Abdul, speaking on behalf of the APC Youth Group and party members in Kogi Central, said the declaration of results by the state chapter contradicted an earlier directive from the APC National Working Committee (NWC).
According to results announced at the state level, Hon. Sanni Salau Ogembe polled 31,651 votes, Hon. Moses Omeiza Audu came second with 1,141 votes, and incumbent lawmaker Hon. Ozigi Muhammed Tijani secured 349 votes.
The stakeholders congratulated all aspirants, delegates, and supporters for participating peacefully and demonstrating commitment to internal democracy.
However, the group raised concerns over the status of the declared winner.
They noted that Ogembe, along with several other aspirants nationwide, was officially listed as ‘Not Cleared’ by the APC National Screening Committee ahead of the primaries.
“The major question currently being asked by party members and important stakeholders is: why should a disqualified aspirant be presented as the flag bearer of our party?” the statement read.
The stakeholders argued that votes recorded for a candidate declared “Not Cleared” remain subject to the final directives of the National Secretariat and the NWC.
They cited an earlier NWC instruction barring state National Assembly Primary Election Committees from independently announcing final results pending ratification by the National Secretariat.
“It is therefore deeply concerning that the Kogi State APC Secretariat proceeded to declare Ogembe as winner despite his disqualification status remaining unresolved,” the group said.
They added that as long as the authority that declared aspirants ‘Not Cleared’ has not issued a contrary directive, the status quo ante remains, and the Kogi State chapter is expected to comply with the national leadership’s position.
Drawing parallels with similar cases in Ondo State and other federal constituencies, the group said the APC had previously upheld constitutional provisions by recognizing cleared aspirants who emerged next in line when disqualified winners stepped aside.
Such actions, they noted, helped preserve party unity and avoid legal battles that could jeopardize electoral victories.
The stakeholders warned that opposition parties are closely monitoring developments in Kogi State and could exploit unresolved irregularities through legal means if the matter is not addressed before the 2027 general election.
“In the interest of justice, fairness, due process, and party unity,” they called on both the Kogi State APC leadership and the National Secretariat to recognise Hon. Moses Omeiza Audu Troy, the highest-ranking cleared aspirant and second-placed candidate, as the valid flag bearer for Okene/Ogori-Magongo Federal Constituency, subject to constitutional procedures and final ratification.
“This is not merely a political argument; it is a call for due process, fairness, internal democracy, respect for the rule of law, and the protection of the democratic values upon which the All Progressives Congress was found do,” the statement concluded.
