More
    HomeUncategorizedNo New Burial Law in Anambra, Assembly Debunks Viral Reports

    No New Burial Law in Anambra, Assembly Debunks Viral Reports

    Published on

    Tony Okafor, Awka
    The Anambra State House of Assembly has dismissed as “false and misleading” reports circulating on social media and some online news platforms alleging that the state government had introduced a new burial law banning expensive funerals and prohibiting the presentation of cows, goats and other costly condolence gifts to bereaved families.
    The clarification came in a statement issued late Monday by Franklin Osankwa, Senior Assistant in the Office of the Speaker of the Anambra State House of Assembly.
    The statement, released on behalf of the Speaker, Rt. Hon. Somtochukwu Nkem Udeze, Ph.D., faulted what it described as sensational media reports claiming that the 8th Anambra State House of Assembly enacted a fresh law regulating burial ceremonies in the state.
    “The 8th Anambra State House of Assembly did not pass any new burial law. No such bill was introduced, debated or passed by the current Assembly,” the statement said.
    There had been widespread reports on social media suggesting that the Anambra State Government had introduced a new law prohibiting expensive funerals, including restrictions on the giving of cows, goats and other luxury items as condolence gifts during mourning visits.
    Some reports specifically claimed that the law allowed only limited items such as cash, a jar of palm wine, one carton of beer and a crate of soft drinks to be presented to bereaved families.
    But the Assembly said the claims were a distortion of facts, explaining that the burial regulatory framework being referenced was enacted in 2019, years before the inauguration of the present 8th Assembly.
    “The existing burial regulatory framework being mischievously referenced by some media platforms was enacted into law in 2019, long before the inauguration of the present 8th Assembly,” the statement added.
    It further stressed that no amendment had been made by the current Assembly in relation to the aspects being sensationally reported in the media.
    “Since the inauguration of the current House, no amendment whatsoever has been made concerning the areas sensationally reported in the media,” Osankwa stated.
    The Assembly accused some media organisations of engaging in irresponsible journalism aimed at generating controversy and public outrage.
    “It is therefore irresponsible and professionally unethical to attribute a non-existent ‘new law’ to the present Assembly simply to generate traffic, controversy and public outrage,” the statement read.
    Warning against the dangers of fake news and distorted headlines, the Assembly maintained that journalism should not be reduced to “clickbait sensationalism.”
    “At a time when fake news and distorted headlines are becoming a serious threat to public trust and social stability, media organisations must understand that journalism is a sacred responsibility, not a tool for clickbait sensationalism,” it stated.
    The House reaffirmed its commitment to transparent and people-oriented lawmaking and urged members of the public to rely only on verified information from official government channels.
    “The Anambra State House of Assembly remains committed to transparent, people-oriented legislation and will continue to engage citizens openly on every law legitimately before the House,” the statement added.
    It urged Ndi Anambra and the general public to disregard what it called the “false narrative” surrounding the alleged new burial law.

    Latest articles

    Soludo Swears In 18 Commissioners, Says Public Office Is a Burden, Not Luxury

    Anambra State Governor, Prof  Chukwuma  Soludo has inaugurated 18 newly confirmed commissioners and four...

    ICPC Refutes Allegations Denying El-Rufai Food, Medication

    The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, has denied claims that...

    Kaduna Tailors Record High Patronage Ahead Eid-El-Fitr

    Tailors in Kaduna State say they are experiencing a boost in patronage ahead the...

    Military Airstrikes Kill 20 ISIS/ISWAP Terrorists in Borno — DHQ

    The Defence Headquarters says coordinated airstrikes in the Metele general area of Borno have...

    More like this

    Soludo Swears In 18 Commissioners, Says Public Office Is a Burden, Not Luxury

    Anambra State Governor, Prof  Chukwuma  Soludo has inaugurated 18 newly confirmed commissioners and four...

    ICPC Refutes Allegations Denying El-Rufai Food, Medication

    The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, has denied claims that...

    Kaduna Tailors Record High Patronage Ahead Eid-El-Fitr

    Tailors in Kaduna State say they are experiencing a boost in patronage ahead the...