More
    HomeEntertainmentLawyer fires back at Davido over social media harassment after custody case

    Lawyer fires back at Davido over social media harassment after custody case

    Published on

    Fresh controversy has emerged in the ongoing custody dispute involving Afrobeats star, Davido and his daughter, Imade, following the singer’s decision to withdraw from the case and subsequent public reactions that drew a formal response from the law firm representing the child’s mother.

    Davido, whose real name is David Adeleke, announced late Friday that he had opted to discontinue the custody proceedings, insisting that he never sought sole custody of his daughter but only requested joint custody.

    He maintained that no party emerged victorious from the case, describing the situation as a loss for the child involved.

    “I never asked for full custody … I asked for joint custody. Nobody won, nobody lost but Imade … so I don’t know why some pple r celebrating. There’s nothing to celebrate,” the singer wrote on X.

    Explaining his decision to withdraw, Davido alleged that events during court proceedings took an unacceptable turn, claiming that references were made to his late son, an experience he described as deeply distressing.

    “I’ve decided to drop the case because … until she brought out her last card! MY DECEASED SON! THAT’S A NO NO! Lowest blow!” He stated.

    The artiste added that his actions were driven by love and responsibility toward his daughter, expressing confidence that his efforts would be understood in the future.

    “My daughter will grow up knowing I fought for her … let’s move on. One love!” he wrote.

    Davido also took to his Instagram story to criticise the opposing legal team, alleging unprofessional conduct during the proceedings.

    “I disgraced you in the courtroom … I was teaching you your work … and then went on to mention my son. Like I said in the courtroom, I pray you never go through what me and my wife have gone through ever,” he posted.

    The online outburst followed earlier social media commentary by a Lagos-based legal practitioner, Maruf Muhammed, who had drawn public attention to tense moments during proceedings at the Lagos State High Court, Yaba.

    “Davido in High Court, Yaba now! Come and see drama in court. The lawyer made 001 lose his patience during cross-examination o! Be you never so high, the law is above you,” Muhammed wrote, later clarifying that the matter before the court related to the custody of Davido’s daughter, Imade.

    In response to the public commentary and what it described as harassment directed at its partner, the law firm representing Imade’s mother, Sophia, issued a strongly worded statement defending its conduct and warning against intimidation of legal practitioners.

    In the statement dated February 16, 2026, the firm said its attention had been drawn to inflammatory public statements, allegedly orchestrated by a Nigerian Afrobeats artiste on social media, concerning a custody matter currently before a court of competent jurisdiction in Lagos State.

    “That matter is sub judice. It will be decided by the court alone, on evidence and law, and no amount of media commentary will sway that process or our approach to the case,” the firm stated.

    It stressed that it would not comment on the substance of the case, citing adherence to the highest standards of professional conduct, but warned that threats, intimidation or harassment of counsel outside the courtroom pose a serious threat to the administration of justice.

    “However, if legal practitioners are to be threatened, intimidated, or exposed to harassment outside the courtroom for asking questions, testing evidence, or discharging their professional duty to their clients, then the very foundation of justice is imperilled,” the statement said.

    The firm added that fearless advocacy remained essential to the justice system, warning that when lawyers were forced to weigh personal safety against professional duty, the rule of law was weakened.

    “It will not begin with us,” the firm declared, noting that it would deploy every lawful measure available to resist any attempt to intimidate counsel or undermine judicial proceedings.

    It further called on the Nigerian Bar Association and lawyers globally to condemn what it described as an aberration and a gross violation of the legal profession.

    The statement was jointly signed by the Management and Board of Partners of the firm.

    Meanwhile, the custody dispute continues to attract public attention, with fans and observers calling for peaceful co-parenting, even as both sides maintain their positions amid heightened public scrutiny.

    Latest articles

    Osimhen reveals conversation with Conte before leaving Napoli for Galatasaray

    Galatasaray striker, Victor Osimhen, has confirmed that he rejected the chance to stay at...

    Osimhen reveals top club he wanted to join before signing for Galatasaray

    Galatasaray attacker, Victor Osimhen, has disclosed that he initially hoped to sign with Juventus...

    Cardi B confirms split from boyfriend, Diggs 3 months after birthing their child

    American rapper, Cardi B, has confirmed separation from her new lover and Footballer, Stefon...

    GOCMEJ Applauds CGF Olumode’s Swift Intervention, Proactive Fire Safety Initiative in Kano

    The Guild of Civil Societies and Media Executives for Equity, Justice and Transparency in...

    More like this

    Osimhen reveals conversation with Conte before leaving Napoli for Galatasaray

    Galatasaray striker, Victor Osimhen, has confirmed that he rejected the chance to stay at...

    Osimhen reveals top club he wanted to join before signing for Galatasaray

    Galatasaray attacker, Victor Osimhen, has disclosed that he initially hoped to sign with Juventus...

    Cardi B confirms split from boyfriend, Diggs 3 months after birthing their child

    American rapper, Cardi B, has confirmed separation from her new lover and Footballer, Stefon...