More
    HomeLatest NewsEdo State Government Mourns the Loss of 11 Travellers in Benin-Lagos Expressway...

    Edo State Government Mourns the Loss of 11 Travellers in Benin-Lagos Expressway Accident

    Published on

    The Edo State Government expressed deep sorrow over a tragic accident that occurred on Thursday at the Ovia river bridge along the Benin-Lagos expressway. The accident involved a Toyota Hiace 18-seater bus and a truck, resulting in the loss of at least 11 lives.

    Deputy Governor Philip Shaibu, speaking on behalf of the state government on Friday, stated that the government is committed to repairing the dilapidated federal roads across the state to prevent accidents and save time for commuters.

    During a phone-in pidgin English program on ITV/Radio Benin, Shaibu explained the reasons behind the state government’s decision not to undertake repairs on federal roads in the state. He mentioned that although the state government had previously carried out repairs on federal roads, they were not reimbursed for the expenses incurred. As a result, the government decided to discontinue the repairs, despite the roads’ importance for the socio-economic well-being of the state’s residents.

    “We have fixed the roads before, but the federal government did not reimburse us because they said they did not approve it. So we decided not to continue because they said they won’t pay anymore,” Shaibu stated.

    However, he assured the public that the state government is currently in discussions with the Federal Government to address the issue of frequent road accidents, particularly around the Ovia river bridge on the Benin-Lagos expressway.

    Latest articles

    Osimhen reveals conversation with Conte before leaving Napoli for Galatasaray

    Galatasaray striker, Victor Osimhen, has confirmed that he rejected the chance to stay at...

    Osimhen reveals top club he wanted to join before signing for Galatasaray

    Galatasaray attacker, Victor Osimhen, has disclosed that he initially hoped to sign with Juventus...

    Lawyer fires back at Davido over social media harassment after custody case

    Fresh controversy has emerged in the ongoing custody dispute involving Afrobeats star, Davido and...

    Cardi B confirms split from boyfriend, Diggs 3 months after birthing their child

    American rapper, Cardi B, has confirmed separation from her new lover and Footballer, Stefon...

    More like this

    Osimhen reveals conversation with Conte before leaving Napoli for Galatasaray

    Galatasaray striker, Victor Osimhen, has confirmed that he rejected the chance to stay at...

    Osimhen reveals top club he wanted to join before signing for Galatasaray

    Galatasaray attacker, Victor Osimhen, has disclosed that he initially hoped to sign with Juventus...

    Lawyer fires back at Davido over social media harassment after custody case

    Fresh controversy has emerged in the ongoing custody dispute involving Afrobeats star, Davido and...