More
    HomeSportsReal Madrid's contract extension is being hampered by Vinicius Junior's wage demands

    Real Madrid’s contract extension is being hampered by Vinicius Junior’s wage demands

    Published on

    Brazilian winger Vinicius Junior is actively seeking improved terms in his contract extension talks with Real Madrid, reportedly using the prospect of interest from Saudi Arabia as leverage, despite no formal offer currently existing.

    While Vinicius remains under contract with the Spanish club until 2027 and is already among its top earners, negotiations for a more lucrative extension are ongoing. Sources indicate that the 23-year-old is pushing for a significant salary increase, aiming to raise his annual earnings from just under €17 million to around €30 million—a figure that Real Madrid has so far been hesitant to meet.

    Tactics and Context

    Though reports previously circulated that Vinicius had received a staggering £830 million offer over five years from a Saudi club—potentially including a World Cup 2034 ambassadorial role—Spanish outlet *Marca* has clarified that no concrete proposal has been made. Nevertheless, Vinicius’ management, Roc Nation Brazil, has used these discussions strategically to bolster his bargaining power in negotiations with Madrid.

    This comes during a challenging season for Real Madrid, who suffered a recent El Clásico defeat and are at risk of ending the campaign trophyless, with Barcelona leading the title race. The uncertain environment adds pressure to the club’s leadership as they work to secure the futures of key players.

    Comparisons and Internal Dynamics

    Vinicius’ current contract, signed in 2022, positioned him among the top-paid players at the club. However, newer signings like Jude Bellingham have reportedly received even more favorable terms after stellar performances, fueling Vinicius’ push for parity or better.

    Although he remains committed to Real Madrid, some within the club have raised concerns about his off-field conduct. Additionally, if a genuine Saudi offer materializes, there are reportedly figures within the organization who might be open to his departure.

    Vinicius’ Stance

    Despite the behind-the-scenes maneuvering, Vinicius has publicly reiterated his loyalty to Real Madrid and expressed hope that an agreement will be reached soon, ideally before the anticipated arrival of Xabi Alonso as head coach.

    “I have a contract until 2027,” he said in February. “But I have always said that I want to play here for a long time… God willing, I hope that the negotiations can be resolved soon so I can stay here for much longer.”

    As one of the most dynamic and marketable players in the squad, Vinicius remains central to Real Madrid’s long-term plans, provided both sides can align on terms.

    Latest articles

    Opposition Walkout Over Electoral Bill Normal Parliamentary Practice – Deputy Spokesperson

    The Deputy Spokesperson of the House of Representatives, Hon. Philip Agbese, has described Tuesday’s...

    Eight Soldiers Killed, 23 Injured As ISWAP Raids Borno Military Base

    Eight Nigerian soldiers have been killed and 23 others injured following a deadly raid...

    Dangote forecasts Naira appreciating to N1000 per US dollar in 2026

    The Chairman of the Dangote Group and Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, has forecast...

    Naira records mixed sentiments against US dollar across official, black markets

    The Naira recorded mixed sentiments against the dollar on Wednesday at the foreign exchange...

    More like this

    Opposition Walkout Over Electoral Bill Normal Parliamentary Practice – Deputy Spokesperson

    The Deputy Spokesperson of the House of Representatives, Hon. Philip Agbese, has described Tuesday’s...

    Eight Soldiers Killed, 23 Injured As ISWAP Raids Borno Military Base

    Eight Nigerian soldiers have been killed and 23 others injured following a deadly raid...

    Dangote forecasts Naira appreciating to N1000 per US dollar in 2026

    The Chairman of the Dangote Group and Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, has forecast...