More
    HomeNewsJonathan Appeals to UK Court, Backs Diezani’s Use of Private Jets

    Jonathan Appeals to UK Court, Backs Diezani’s Use of Private Jets

    Published on

    A statement by former President Goodluck Jonathan has been read before the Southwark Crown Court in the United Kingdom in the ongoing trial of Diezani Alison-Madueke.

    The statement was presented during proceedings on Tuesday, according to reports.

    In the statement, Jonathan said it was not unusual for third parties to make payments on behalf of ministers during official overseas duties.

    “Any properly incurred incidental or in-kind assistance from third parties would be recorded and reimbursed where applicable,” the former president was quoted as saying.

    He also confirmed that he approved Alison-Madueke’s use of private jets for certain foreign trips.

    Alison-Madueke, who served as minister of petroleum resources from 2010 to 2015, is standing trial alongside Olatimbo Ayinde and Doye Agama.

    They are facing a five-count charge bordering on accepting bribes but have all pleaded not guilty.

    Earlier in the trial, prosecutors accused the former minister of accepting luxury goods and access to high-end properties from individuals seeking favourable treatment in oil contracts.

    They alleged that the benefits were provided in exchange for influence within the petroleum sector.

    Counsel to Alison-Madueke, Jonathan Laidlaw, told the court that his client had no real influence over the award of oil contracts during her time in office.

    Meanwhile, Nigerian businessman Igho Sanomi and Ghanaian businessman Kevin Okyere have denied allegations of bribery.

    Their statements, read in court, indicated that payments made on behalf of the former minister were later reimbursed.

    Okyere stated that he paid about £3,900 for items purchased by Alison-Madueke in 2014, adding that the money was later refunded in cash.

    Sanomi also said items he purchased on behalf of the former minister were reimbursed, insisting that his companies secured contracts through fair competition.

    The trial is ongoing, with further proceedings expected as the court continues to examine evidence and witness statements.

    Latest articles

    ‎Ranching policy: Lawyer seeks protection of Middle Belt lands

    ‎ ‎From Yakubu Wuyep, Jos ‎ ‎A legal practitioner, Barrister John Apollos Maton, has called for greater...

    ‎2027 Hajj: IHR demands Nigeria Hospital in Saudi

    ‎ ‎BY AHMED AKANBI ‎ ‎A faith-based civil society organisation, (CSO), the Independent Hajj Reporters, IHR, has...

    ‎#OsunDecides2026: BON lauds INEC, demands prosecution of offenders

    ‎By Hosea Parah ‎ ‎The Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON) has commended the Independent National Electoral...

    ‎ Encroachment: Wike directs demolition on Abuja’s Ring Road 3 corridor

    ‎ ‎By Olawumi Oyehan ‎ ‎Worried by the level of encroachment of illegal shanties, the Minister of...

    More like this

    ‎Ranching policy: Lawyer seeks protection of Middle Belt lands

    ‎ ‎From Yakubu Wuyep, Jos ‎ ‎A legal practitioner, Barrister John Apollos Maton, has called for greater...

    ‎2027 Hajj: IHR demands Nigeria Hospital in Saudi

    ‎ ‎BY AHMED AKANBI ‎ ‎A faith-based civil society organisation, (CSO), the Independent Hajj Reporters, IHR, has...

    ‎#OsunDecides2026: BON lauds INEC, demands prosecution of offenders

    ‎By Hosea Parah ‎ ‎The Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON) has commended the Independent National Electoral...