More
    HomeNewsOsun pensioners seek Tinubu’s intervention over entitlements

    Osun pensioners seek Tinubu’s intervention over entitlements

    Published on

    Retirees under the contributory pension scheme in Osun State have appealed to President Bola Tinubu to step into the ongoing dispute affecting local government finances in the state.

    In a statement issued on Tuesday in Osogbo, the pensioners said delays linked to the local government funding situation had worsened hardship among retired workers.

    The appeal was jointly signed by the State Coordinator, Alhaji Ayinde Toyeen; Chairman, Pastor Adepoju Sunday; and Chairperson 2, Alhaja Abidoye, on behalf of members of the contributory pension scheme.

    They said many retirees were yet to receive outstanding entitlements covering several categories of former workers across primary, secondary and tertiary institutions, as well as the core civil service.

    According to the group, the unpaid benefits span from 2017 to 2026 and have left numerous pensioners struggling to meet basic needs.

    “We are experiencing severe hardship, and many of our members lack access to adequate medical care,” the statement read.

    The retirees noted that some deaths had been recorded among pensioners, which they attributed to financial distress and health challenges.

    They, however, acknowledged measures introduced by the administration of Governor Ademola Adeleke to cushion the effects of the situation.

    The group commended the payment of 28 months of half salaries owed by the previous administration, describing it as a relief for affected retirees.

    They also referenced the settlement of 12 months of half salaries for bonded retirees as part of steps taken to address arrears.

    The pensioners cited their enrolment into the state health insurance scheme as a supportive intervention.

    They mentioned the ongoing payment of a ₦10,000 monthly palliative to retirees under the scheme.

    Despite these measures, the group said outstanding gratuities and other statutory benefits remained unresolved.

    They urged the President to mediate in the financial impasse involving local government allocations in the state.

    Describing the President as the father of the nation, the retirees called for cooperation among political stakeholders to ensure regular payment of entitlements.

    “We remain law-abiding citizens who served the state and the nation diligently, and we plead for urgent intervention in the interest of justice and fairness,” the statement added.

    Meanwhile, the All Progressives Congress in the state has alleged plans by the government to sponsor protests over local government allocations, a claim yet to be substantiated.

    In a separate statement by Kola Olabisi, its Director of Media and Information, the party called on security agencies to remain vigilant over potential unrest linked to the allocation dispute.

    “We want to make a passionate appeal to the state commissioner of Police and other sister statutory security agencies to treat the development with the urgency it requires in order to safe some of the UBA branches which may be burnt down by the fake protesters.

    “There is even no plausible reason under the sun for any one or any group of people to take the laws into their hands,” the state end added.

    Responding to public concerns, the Osun State Government maintained that salaries of local government workers were being paid and clarified that only certain allowances tied to withheld allocations had been affected.

    The Commissioner for Information, Kolapo Alimi in a statement said the core salaries remained uninterrupted, while supplementary payments dependent on statutory allocations were constrained by financial challenges.

    “While allowances and other supplementary payments have been affected by the withheld funds, salaries remain consistent and uninterrupted. Clear distinctions must be maintained to ensure public understanding is guided by facts.

    “The welfare of workers remains a priority, as demonstrated by the state government’s decision to sustain salary payments despite substantial financial challenges” he concluded.

    Latest articles

    Osimhen reveals conversation with Conte before leaving Napoli for Galatasaray

    Galatasaray striker, Victor Osimhen, has confirmed that he rejected the chance to stay at...

    Osimhen reveals top club he wanted to join before signing for Galatasaray

    Galatasaray attacker, Victor Osimhen, has disclosed that he initially hoped to sign with Juventus...

    Lawyer fires back at Davido over social media harassment after custody case

    Fresh controversy has emerged in the ongoing custody dispute involving Afrobeats star, Davido and...

    Cardi B confirms split from boyfriend, Diggs 3 months after birthing their child

    American rapper, Cardi B, has confirmed separation from her new lover and Footballer, Stefon...

    More like this

    Osimhen reveals conversation with Conte before leaving Napoli for Galatasaray

    Galatasaray striker, Victor Osimhen, has confirmed that he rejected the chance to stay at...

    Osimhen reveals top club he wanted to join before signing for Galatasaray

    Galatasaray attacker, Victor Osimhen, has disclosed that he initially hoped to sign with Juventus...

    Lawyer fires back at Davido over social media harassment after custody case

    Fresh controversy has emerged in the ongoing custody dispute involving Afrobeats star, Davido and...