More
    HomeForeignTrump extends TikTok deadline for third time

    Trump extends TikTok deadline for third time

    Published on

    US President Donald Trump will this week give TikTok a fresh 90-day extension to find a non-Chinese buyer, the White House said Tuesday, the third time he has put off a threatened ban on the popular app.

    A federal law requiring TikTok’s sale or ban on national security grounds was due to take effect the day before Trump’s January inauguration.

    “President Trump will sign an additional Executive Order this week to keep TikTok up and running. As he has said many times, President Trump does not want TikTok to go dark,” Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said in a statement.

    “This extension will last 90 days, which the administration will spend working to ensure this deal is closed so that the American people can continue to use TikTok with the assurance that their data is safe and secure.”

    Trump, whose 2024 election campaign relied heavily on social media, has previously said he is fond of the video sharing app.

    “I have a little warm spot in my heart for TikTok,” Trump said in an NBC News interview in early May. “If it needs an extension, I would be willing to give it an extension.”

    Trump said at the time that a group of purchasers was ready to pay TikTok owner ByteDance “a lot of money” for the video-clip-sharing sensation’s US operations.

    Trump has repeatedly downplayed risks that TikTok is in danger, saying he remains confident of finding a buyer for the app’s US business.

    The president is “just not motivated to do anything about TikTok,” said independent analyst Rob Enderle. “Unless they get on his bad side, TikTok is probably going to be in pretty good shape.”

    Trump had long supported a ban or divestment, but reversed his position and vowed to defend the platform after coming to believe it helped him win young voters’ support in the November election.

    Motivated by national security fears and belief in Washington that TikTok is controlled by the Chinese government, the ban took effect on January 19, one day before Trump’s inauguration, with ByteDance having made no attempt to find a suitor.

    TikTok “has become a symbol of the US-China tech rivalry; a flashpoint in the new Cold War for digital control,” said Shweta Singh, an assistant professor of information systems at Warwick Business School in Britain.

    The Republican president announced an initial 75-day delay of the ban upon taking office. A second extension pushed the deadline to June 19.

    Latest articles

    Sunny-Goli Advocates Innovative Youth Leadership for Peace in Niger Delta Communities

        The Bayelsa East Senatorial candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), HRH Israel Sunny-Goli,...

    RIVERS GOV. FUBARA UNVEILS RECONSTRUCTED BUGUMA- DEGEMA – ABONNEMA ROAD

        Governor of Rivers State, His Excellency Sir Siminalayi Fubara has unveiled the reconstructed Buguma-Degema-Abonnema...

    Why we defeated APC, Oyetola, despite N60b spent on vote buying – Davido’s father

      Adedeji Adeleke, father of singer Davido, has opened up about the role he believes...

    Kogi Young Table Tennis Stars Shine for Nigeria at African Youth Championship

      Olu Samuel Young table tennis players from Kogi State have continued to make the state...

    More like this

    Sunny-Goli Advocates Innovative Youth Leadership for Peace in Niger Delta Communities

        The Bayelsa East Senatorial candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), HRH Israel Sunny-Goli,...

    RIVERS GOV. FUBARA UNVEILS RECONSTRUCTED BUGUMA- DEGEMA – ABONNEMA ROAD

        Governor of Rivers State, His Excellency Sir Siminalayi Fubara has unveiled the reconstructed Buguma-Degema-Abonnema...

    Why we defeated APC, Oyetola, despite N60b spent on vote buying – Davido’s father

      Adedeji Adeleke, father of singer Davido, has opened up about the role he believes...