More
    HomeNewsFire destroys INEC office in Osun

    Fire destroys INEC office in Osun

    Published on

    By Hosea parah, Abuja

    Hoodlums set ablaze the office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Ede South Local Government Area of Osun, Thursday.

    INEC Spokesperson in Osun, Mrs Oluwaseun Osimosu, confirmed the attack to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).Osimosu said that the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in the state, Dr Mutiu Agboke, had visited the scene of the incident for an on-the-spot assessment, in company with the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in Ede South council area.

    Similarly, Mr Festus Okoye, INEC National Commissioner and Chairman Information and Voter Education Committee, in a statement, said that the attack on INEC facility had been reported to the commission’s headquarters.

    “The Resident Electoral Commissioner for Osun, Dr Mutiu Agboke, has reported that our office in Ede South local government area was attacked and set ablaze.

    “The incident occurred in the early hours of this morning (Thursday) when some unidentified persons attacked the building and set a portion of it ablaze.

    “Fortunately, the damage to the facility was limited to a section of the building, while only some furniture were destroyed.“The attention of the Nigeria Police Force and other security and safety agencies has been drawn to the incident and they have commenced investigation.

    “With just 106 days until the 2023 general elections, when the commission has commenced the movement of materials to our offices nationwide, these attacks are very worrisome indeed,” he said.

    Okoye, however, said that the commission would convene an emergency meeting of the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES) on Friday to discuss what he called the disturbing trend.

    Latest articles

    Fresh Tension In Lagos Over ‘New Demolition Plan’ For Coastal Road Project

    Some communities in Ibeju‑Lekki Local Government Area of Lagos have raised the alarm over...

    National Assembly Reconvenes Tuesday, May Review 2027 Presidential Election Date

    The National Assembly on Sunday announced that it would reconvene plenary on Tuesday, February...

    Our Commonwealth Is Not Meant For The Cartel – NLC Blasts FG ₦3 Trillion Power Subsidy Plan

    The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has claimed that the Federal Government’s proposed plan to...

    I dare you to submit evidence of toxic chemical procurement to DSS – Ribadu to El-Rufai

    The Office of the National Security Adviser, ONSA, has dared former Governor of Kaduna...

    More like this

    Fresh Tension In Lagos Over ‘New Demolition Plan’ For Coastal Road Project

    Some communities in Ibeju‑Lekki Local Government Area of Lagos have raised the alarm over...

    National Assembly Reconvenes Tuesday, May Review 2027 Presidential Election Date

    The National Assembly on Sunday announced that it would reconvene plenary on Tuesday, February...

    Our Commonwealth Is Not Meant For The Cartel – NLC Blasts FG ₦3 Trillion Power Subsidy Plan

    The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has claimed that the Federal Government’s proposed plan to...