More
    HomeSportsFIFA probes S’Africa over use of suspended midfielder against Lesotho

    FIFA probes S’Africa over use of suspended midfielder against Lesotho

    Published on

    World football governing body, FIFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against South Africa for fielding midfielder Teboho Mokoena against Lesotho despite his suspension.

    The development could carry serious consequences for Bafana Bafana and potentially shift the balance in Group C, where Nigeria and South Africa are battling for a place at the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

    According to multiple reports, including SABC Sport, FIFA confirmed that both Mokoena and the South African Football Association (SAFA) face charges of breaching disciplinary rules on the use of an ineligible player. The case has now been referred to FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee, with SAFA and Mokoena given six days to respond.

    The issue stems from bookings Mokoena picked up earlier in the qualifying series. The Mamelodi Sundowns midfielder received two yellow cards in separate games, which, under FIFA rules, should have triggered an automatic suspension.

    Despite this, he played in South Africa’s 2-0 victory over Lesotho, prompting a protest that the result should be overturned to a 3-0 win for Lesotho.

    If the protest is upheld, South Africa would forfeit the match, losing three points and seeing their goal difference swing from +2 to -3. Such a decision could hand Lesotho a crucial win and shake up Group C, where margins are tight.

    Although the match was played nearly six months ago, FIFA has yet to issue a ruling, with former Super Eagles captain, Sunday Oliseh explaining that the delay is caused by disciplinary processes.

    “The process can take weeks to months, as FIFA may request additional information from the associations involved,” Oliseh said on his podcast. He stressed that officials must check yellow card records, team sheets, and whether Lesotho filed its protest within the correct timeframe, typically within two hours of the game, with documentation submitted within 24-48 hours.

    FIFA’s Disciplinary Code usually mandates a 3-0 forfeit when an ineligible player is used, regardless of the actual scoreline. However, Oliseh cautioned that FIFA’s judicial bodies retain discretion.

    “If no valid protest was filed, or if FIFA finds extenuating circumstances, like an administrative error without intent, the punishment could be reduced or waived. That said, such outcomes are rare,” he explained.

    Some observers believe Bafana Bafana might escape with only a fine, since Mokoena sat out South Africa’s subsequent match against Benin, which could be argued as retroactive fulfillment of his suspension.

    Meanwhile, SAFA has faced criticism for negligence.

    “How could someone in an administrative role overlook such a critical detail? If South Africa fails to qualify, responsibility must fall squarely on Vincent Tseka, he must be held accountable.”

    This is not the first time SAFA’s competence has been questioned. Coach Hugo Broos once revealed that the national team missed training after officials failed to secure a stadium booking.

    While Nigerian fans might see this controversy as an opportunity for the Super Eagles, Oliseh has urged caution.

    With just two matches left to decide Group C’s outcome, Nigeria cannot afford to rely on boardroom decisions. FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee will determine whether South Africa’s victory over Lesotho stands or is overturned, leaving the group delicately balanced.

    Latest articles

    ‎Beggars, destitutes are used as drug couriers in Abuja – FCTA

    ‎The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has raised the alarm over the increasing use...

    FCC partners media outfit on digital platform

    ‎ ‎The Federal Character Commission (FCC) said it has concluded arrangement to collaborate with Keep...

    ‎UniAbuja student wins Amnesty International’s 2026 inter-varsity debate

    ‎A 500-level law student of University of Abuja, Amra Salihu,has emerged winner of the...

    FCTA targets 18 projects for Tinubu’s 3rd anniversary

    By Olawumi Oyehan ‎ ‎The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) is expected to commission, at least,...

    More like this

    ‎Beggars, destitutes are used as drug couriers in Abuja – FCTA

    ‎The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has raised the alarm over the increasing use...

    FCC partners media outfit on digital platform

    ‎ ‎The Federal Character Commission (FCC) said it has concluded arrangement to collaborate with Keep...

    ‎UniAbuja student wins Amnesty International’s 2026 inter-varsity debate

    ‎A 500-level law student of University of Abuja, Amra Salihu,has emerged winner of the...